Property Maintenance

City staff is available to answer questions regarding City Code requirements.

Common property code enforcement issues are outlined below:


Read more here regarding the raising of backyard chickens.

Excessive Storage

Click here for helpful information and handouts on reducing excessive storage.

Garbage Service

Every residential household must have garbage and recycling service per City Code 8-204.  City Code 8-206 addresses the location of garbage containers and yard waste.


There is no City Code requiring residents to rake or mulch leaves.  However, City Code 8-111 does prohibit depositing leaves on any public street.

Long Grass

City Code 8-500 require grass and weeds to be no more than eight inches in height.  City Code does not require dandelions and creeping charlie to be treated with weed spray.  Long grass season is May 1 through September 30.  Report long grass issues on our comment line at 763-951-7200.  Read more here regarding native plantings.

Junk and Debris

City Code 8-109.  Items not intended for outdoor storage are not permitted to be stored outdoors, such as vehicle parts, fluids and accessories, building materials, appliances, upholstered furniture, brush, etc.  

Rental License

All rental dwellings must be licensed.  Refer to City Code 12-903 requirements.  More information on rental licensing requirements can be found here.


Several City Codes pertain to vehicles.  City Codes 8-109 and 11-601.5 require vehicles parked outside to display current tabs and be in operable condition. Repairing or dismantling vehicles outside is not allowed.  Vehicles must be parked on the driveway and not on grass per City Code 11-603.1(7)(i).
Additional information can be viewed in the Residential Code Enforcement Guide (PDF).

Administrative Citations

City staff issues Administrative Citations for violations of City Code.  If you receive a citation, here are your three options:
  • correct the violation on or before the compliance date,
  • contact the inspector to arrange a time extension, or
  • appeal the inspector's decision.
More information can be found in the Administrative Citation brochure, which includes the form to request a time extension or appeal the inspector's decision.